Tag: hundreds

Fears of another hotel quarantine disaster as ‘hundreds exposed’ to coronavirus in Adelaide

Authorities fear Adelaide might need to follow Melbourne into a draconian lockdown after hundreds of people were potentially exposed to coronavirus from a hotel quarantine outbreak.

A quarantine hotel worker has tested positive for Covid-19 having caught it from an infected traveller, and has passed on the illness to family members, with four people already having tested positive.

The list of potentially infected places over the weekend now include a prison, a hospital, a primary school, and aged care facility and a shopping centre, with more than 90 people already been forced into quarantine.

Health authorities say it’s too early to tell if the crowds who went to the city’s traditional Christmas Pageant at Adelaide Oval on Saturday have also been exposed.

The Lyell McEwin Hospital in Adelaide's north where a woman in her 80s was diagnosed. More than 90 staff and patients who were there at the same time in Emergency are in quarantine

The Lyell McEwin Hospital in Adelaide’s north where a woman in her 80s was diagnosed. More than 90 staff and patients who were there at the same time in Emergency are in quarantine

West Australian cricketer Cameron Green has his temperature checked on returning home from Adelaide on Saturday. He will now have to go into quarantine for 14 days

West Australian cricketer Cameron Green has his temperature checked on returning home from Adelaide on Saturday. He will now have to go into quarantine for 14 days 

Travellers pictured at Adelaide airport on Saturday. South Australians' travel plans have been thrown into chaos by an outbreak that prompted WA to change its border rules on Sunday

Travellers pictured at Adelaide airport on Saturday. South Australians’ travel plans have been thrown into chaos by an outbreak that prompted WA to change its border rules on Sunday

News of the cluster sparked an immediate reaction to control the outbreak, having learned from the wave of illness which swept through Melbourne in past months.

A plane load of passengers from Adelaide who landed at Perth airport just one day after border rules were relaxed were told to quarantine for 14 days or go home, and people about to depart Adelaide for Perth on Sunday were told they too would be required to quarantine for two weeks if they went ahead with their trips.

SA Health authorities believe the outbreak started when a worker at Peppers Hotel quarantine in Adelaide’s CBD brought the virus home. 

The couple, a woman in her 50s and a man in his 60s, then gave it to an 80-year-old woman who was the mother of one of them.

The elderly woman visited the Parafield Plaza Asian supermarket between 10:30am and 11:30am on Thursday without knowing she was infectious, potentially spreading the virus.

Passengers who flew from Adelaide to Perth on Sunday were told to quarantine or go home. News of Adelaide's outbreak came as their plane was in mid-air. Pictured: a Qantas flight to Adelaide last month

Passengers who flew from Adelaide to Perth on Sunday were told to quarantine or go home. News of Adelaide’s outbreak came as their plane was in mid-air. Pictured: a Qantas flight to Adelaide last month

Medical staff at an Adelaide coronavirus testing clinic in September. Adelaide's spiralling outbreak is worrying health authorities

Medical staff at an Adelaide coronavirus testing clinic in September. Adelaide’s spiralling outbreak is worrying health authorities

On Friday night she sought treatment at Lyell McEwin Hospital in Adelaide’s north where she was diagnosed with coronavirus on Saturday.

About 90 people who were in the hospital’s emergency department between 5:30pm on Friday and 4:00am on Saturday have been ordered into quarantine.  

South Australia’s chief public health officer Professor Nicola Spurrier told reporters on Sunday that the infected trio have a ‘very large family’.

Four close contacts have since showed symptoms and are awaiting coronavirus test results. 

Continue reading

Stanley Hotel hosts hundreds of firefighters battling wildfires

ESTES PARK, Colo. — The Stanley Hotel has opened its doors to hundreds of firefighters who are currently battling the East Troublesome and Cameron Peak Fires burning on both sides of Estes Park.

“The Fire Marshal Kevin Sullivan called me and said ‘hey can I have a couple of free rooms?’” said Stanley Hotel Owner John Cullen. “With every hour that number went up a hundred rooms and we have about 500 in house now and we’re going to feed about 800 tonight.”

Live Colorado fire updates: East Troublesome Fire now 2nd-largest in state history

Cullen said during the winter months, the hotel only employs a handful of staff members.

But with just nine employees, Cullen told Denver7, the hotel is at 100 percent capacity, and they are prepared to do whatever they can to help the first responders.

“My assistant chief engineer was on the front desk. My front office manager worked until 6:00 in the morning,” Cullen said.

According to Cullen, the Stanley Hotel is home to the largest collection of kindling in the State of Colorado.

“What safer place to be than to have 500 of the bravest souls on this Estes Park area staying in my own house?” Cullen said.

As firefighters work around the clock to save lives, homes, and other structures Cullen told Denver7, the community is rallying around the fire crews and the Stanley to make sure the firefighters don’t go hungry.

“Every shop owner that still can is delivering everything from dairy products to meat products to whatever,” said Cullen.

Cullen said the 110-year-old hotel is preparing to serve 1,000 meals a day.

But Cullen told Denver7 that even after providing rooms and free meals, there is no way to truly express his appreciation for those on the front lines of the fire fight.

“350 to 400 of the bravest souls in Estes Park came here to rescue us. It was really one of those great moments where the spirit of the Stanley shined on,” Cullen said.

Cullen said he will continue to provide a place for the firefighters to stay for as long as they need it.

appId : '283504728416642',

xfbml : true, version : 'v2.9' }); }; (function(d, s, id){ var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) {return;} js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = "https://connect.facebook.net/en_US/sdk.js"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs); }(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));

Source Article

Continue reading

Estes Park’s Stanley Hotel putting up hundreds of firefighters

The Stanley Hotel in Estes Park is famous for inspiring Stephen King’s horror classic “The Shining.”

ESTES PARK, Colo. — The historic hotel made famous by “The Shining” will be known to hundreds of firefighters for something decidedly less spooky.

The Stanley Hotel said it is putting up 380 firefighters who are helping to battle the East Troublesome Fire, which has caused hundreds of evacuations in Estes Park and closed Rocky Mountain National Park to the public.

Some of those firefighters were from Denver and Aurora Fire. In a tweet, the Denver Fire Department said its crews were treated to a dinner on Thursday night.

RELATED: East Troublesome Fire updates: Challenging weather expected Friday

RELATED: Colorado wildfires: How you can help those impacted

RELATED: Photos show red skies in Estes Park, smoke plume visible from Front Range as East Troublesome Fire grows

The Stanley Hotel shared a video on Facebook of firefighters congregating in its lobby.


For what it’s worth, according to Google’s hotel booking tool, a room at the Stanley for Sunday night would cost $299 a night to the general public.

The East Troublesome Fire grew by more than 100,000 acres from Wednesday to Thursday, and is now straddling both sides of the Continental Divide at 170,163 acres. It is the second largest fire in Colorado history, behind the nearby Cameron Peak Fire, which is now more than 206,000 acres.

Estes Park, the home of the Stanley Hotel, is closed to all incoming traffic. Roads are open to evacuees.

The 142-room Stanley Hotel built in 1909. Part of its fame comes from horror legend Stephen King, who said he was inspired to write “The Shining” after staying there near the end of the season, when they were the only guests.

SUGGESTED VIDEOS: Wildfires in Colorado 


Source Article

Continue reading

Hundreds Of Homeless Can Remain At Upper West Side Hotel For Now

UPPER WEST SIDE, NY — The plight of hundreds of homeless men currently being housed at The Lucerne remains fluid after a judge on Monday sided with three hotel residents and temporarily blocked an effort by Mayor Bill de Blasio to move the men to another location in Lower Manhattan.

The city was scheduled to start transferring 235 men to the site of a former Radisson hotel Monday morning before Manhattan Supreme Court Judge Debra James found in favor of three of the men, who filed a lawsuit against de Blasio and Department of Homeless Services Commissioner Steven Banks last week blocking the move , the New York Post reported.

The men — Larry Thomas, Ramone Buford and Travis Trammell — filed the suit, saying that forcing them to be moved from The Lucerne to the Lower Manhattan location on William Street would cause “massive psychological damage”. James’ decision came less than a week after she ruled against a group of Lower Manhattan residents that were attempting to keep the Lucerne residents from being moved to their neighborhood.

James’ decision allows the homeless men to remain at The Lucerne until the mater is again heard in court.

Despite the halt in Monday’s scheduled moved, a de Blasio spokesman said that the city still plans to prevail in its plans and said lawyers representing the city would appear in court to continue ahead with the plans to move the homeless out of The Lucerne.

“In the meantime, we will continue our efforts to best support all New Yorkers currently experiencing homelessness,” spokesman Bill Neidhardt said Monday, The Post reported.

The continued battle comes more than two months after de Blasio announced plans in September to move the hundreds of men out of The Lucerne property. In August, Patch reported that 311 complaints surged in the Upper West Side after the homeless men were moved into The Lucerne on July 27.

The hotel, which sits on West 79th Street and Amsterdam Avenue, is one of three hotels in the area that is currently receiving homeless clients as the coronavirus pandemic continues. Between the three hotels, more than 500 homeless people are being sheltered in the neighborhood, which has drawn the ire of Upper West Side residents who complain that of the activity that takes place outside of The Lucerne by homeless people being sheltered at the hotel.

The Lucerne residents counter with saying they depend on the social services and medical assistance they receive by staying at the hotel.

In the lawsuit, Buford said that he represents a group of homeless men who the 51-year-old former musician said would not be welcome in the Financial District, The Post reported. The affidavit said that with the exception of the Upper West Side neighbors who have threatened to sue the city over the presence of the homeless being sheltered at The Lucerne, most people have been friendly.

“One of the traumas of being homeless is being un-welcomed,” he said in the paperwork

Continue reading

Hotel-turned-isolation-center helps hundreds in Baltimore

BALTIMORE, Md. (AP) — A historic Baltimore hotel has been repurposed amid the coronavirus pandemic, serving as a free isolation center for people with COVID-19.

Since May, more than 600 people have come through the Lord Baltimore Hotel’s doors, the Baltimore Sun reported. Referrals to the city’s Triage, Respite, and Isolation Center come from hospitals as well as homeless shelters and recovery houses. It’s intended for people who aren’t sick enough to require hospitalization but who can’t self-isolate at home.

The initiative is a partnership between Baltimore and the University of Maryland Medical System. It’s being funded through $103 million the city received from the federal coronavirus relief bill. While those dollars expire in December, city officials plan to seek funding from the Federal Emergency Management Agency to keep it open longer, the newspaper reported.

Leon Love, a 68-year-old Baltimore resident, stayed there last month. He says the good care he received there helped him make a full recovery.

The new business has also helped the hotel hire back 20 of the 60 employees laid off earlier in the pandemic, according to the newspaper.

Continue Reading

Source Article

Continue reading