HAMDEN, CT —(From the Town of Hamden): The Hamden Department of Recreation has selected Johnson’s Duckpin Bowling to be featured as its 2020 holiday ornament, the 29th in a series of annual ornaments featuring Hamden landmarks. Johnson’s Duckpin Bowling is one of the last original anchor businesses in the Hamden Plaza since it opened in 1955 which was near the peak of its popularity.
When asked Sandi Thomas, current owner since 1985, now celebrating their 65th year, “how did the name Duckpin originate?”
The origin of the sport is a subject of some debate. One possible source is that duckpin bowling began in Baltimore around 1900, at a bowling billiard and pool hall owned by future Baltimore Orioles baseball Hall of Famers John McGraw and Wilbert Robinson who were also avid duck hunters.
Rules were modified that allowed bowlers to roll their scaled-down balls three times per turn. And upon impact, the lighter-weight balls caused pint-size pins to skitter like a “flock of ducks.”
Thus, duckpin bowling was born.
As they celebrate another noteworthy year, they are delighted to still offer this family friendly activity to all. After undergoing renovations in 2009, the alley’s synthetic lanes continue to delight duckpin bowlers all year long.
The alley also entertains guests with an arcade, onsite snack bar, as well as personalized birthday parties, which unfold on weekdays and during weekend sessions of Glo & Bowl. They also feature a number of Senior, Pro & Junior leagues as well as programs for all abilities. Come and visit Johnson Duckpin Bowling and learn what has made them unique and a treasured activity among local residents for over 65 years! As quoted by Sandi, Let’s get bowling back, it’s a wonderful family/friends activity to do together. “Can’t be too old to bowl – have fun and get out to exercise”. Check out https://www.johnsonlanes.com/
The pewter ornaments, printed on both sides, are $10 each, and come with a brief narrative about the ornament in a display case.
Also available are ornaments from recent years: Freedom Park honoring POW & MIA (2016); Town Center Park/Rotary Pavilion (2015); Hamden Memorial Library (2013); Hamden Police Dept. (2012); Hamden Middle School (2010) each being sold for $10.
Ornaments from earlier years are also available at a reduced rate of $5 each while supplies last. They include: Whitneyville Church (2008); Farmington Canal Greenway (2007); Spring Glen School (2003); Margaret L. Keefe School (2002); and Thornton Wilder House (1997).
All ornaments are sold on a first-come, first-served basis. To reserve an ornament, call 203-287-2579. Expected availability will be mid-November at the Recreation Office. Call to verify! PLEASE BRING/SEND CHECK OR MONEY ORDER ONLY – PAYABLE TO: TOWN OF HAMDEN
This press release was produced by the Town of Hamden. The views expressed here are the author’s own.