Visiting New York
Travelers to New York give high marks for the popular theater scene, entertainment choices, and fascinating museums. Vibrant and scenic, this city attracts tourists with its art and architecture. Top sights in the city include Times Square, Broadway, and Bryant Park.
- There are 2188 hotels and other accommodations in New York
- The closest major airport is in New York, NY (LGA-LaGuardia), 6.1 mi (9.8 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Teterboro, NJ (TEB), 7.9 mi (12.7 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in New York
Known for its theaters, museums, and art, the city’s cultural venues include Broadway, Radio City Music Hall, and Gershwin Theater. Attractions like Central Park Zoo, Bronx Zoo, and Chelsea Piers are fun for kids of all ages. The city is notable for landmarks like Times Square, Top of the Rock, and Rockefeller Center.
In New York, you’ll find 2188 hotels and other lodging accommodations so you’ll have ample places to choose from for your holiday retreat. Here are top ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- French Quarters NYC – Guests who stay at this 3-star hotel in Midtown can enjoy access to free breakfast and a restaurant, along with an in-room kitchenette. It’s a favorite with Expedia travelers for its breakfast and overall value.
- Home NYC – Our customers like the central location and helpful staff at this guesthouse. This 3-star guesthouse in Harlem features free WiFi and laundry facilities.
- The Sherry Netherland – Guests who stay at this 4.5-star hotel in Central Park South can enjoy access to a restaurant and a 24-hour fitness center, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its dining options and quiet location.
Other favorite sights in New York include Bryant Park, Macy’s, and Broadway Theatre. Popular places to see in the area include Newport Mall, 3.4 mi/5.5 km from the heart of the city, and Colgate Clock, which is 3.8 mi (6.1 km) away.
Getting Around New York
With so many choices for transportation, seeing New York is easy. You can walk to nearby metro stations including Times Sq. – 42 St. Station, 49th St. Station, and 42 St. – Bryant Pk. Station. If you want to journey outside of the area, hop aboard a train from New York W 32nd St. Station, New York Grand Central Terminal Station, or New York Penn Station.
Dressing for New York
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 55°F during the day and 26°F at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 83°F, while the average at night is 40°F
- July through September has daytime averages of 84°F with nighttime averages of 55°F
- In October-December, you can expect daytime averages of 69°F and nighttime averages of 28°F
- Average annual rainfall for New York is 49.96 inches
- Usually July and August are the hottest months with an average of 83°F, whereas January and February are often coldest, averaging 28°F