International flights into South Australia have been suspended for this week, gyms will close and there will be a cap of 100 people at pubs, clubs and restaurants as the state moves to tackle a growing cluster of Covid-19 cases for the first time since April.
The premier, Steven Marshall, announced the restrictions on Monday after the state reported 17 cases of Covid-19 connected to an outbreak from a quarantine hotel for returned travellers.
“Time is now the essence and we must act swiftly and decisively,” he said. “We cannot wait to see how bad this gets. We must act swiftly and decisively on the health advice to stay ahead of the game.”
New restrictions in force for two weeks from Tuesday mean people in South Australia will not be able to go to gyms, recreational facilities, trampoline centres and play cafes.
Related: South Australia coronavirus cluster: what we know so far
Pubs, clubs and restaurants are capped at 100 people per venue, with a maximum booking of 10 people. Private gatherings at venues are capped at 50. Private residence gatherings are capped at 10 people. Cinemas and theatres are restricted to one person per four square metres.
Funerals are capped at 50 people, with one person per four square metres. Churches are capped at 100 people. At weddings, all guests must be registered, but there are no changes to numbers.
Masks are mandatory for personal care service providers and encouraged for clients. People are encouraged to wear masks where they cannot socially distance, and people who can work from home are being advised to do so.
The state’s chief health officer, Prof Nicola Spurrier, stressed the importance of getting on top of testing and contact tracing.
“What we are facing is, indeed, a second wave but we haven’t got [to] the second wave yet. We are in very, very early days,” Spurrier said. “So the first thing we need to do, from my team’s point of view, is the testing, contact tracing and getting people into quarantine very, very quickly.”
On Sunday, South Australia reported three cases of community transmission, the first in the state since 16 April. A woman in her 80s and two of her family members in their 50s and 60s tested positive – one of whom worked in a quarantine hotel for returned travellers.
Fifteen of the 17 cases reported on Monday were linked to one family.
The Mawson Lakes primary school and Thomas Moore college were both closed after a student from each school tested positive.
The state’s health authorities were contact tracing 90 staff at the Lyell McEwin hospital who may have come into contact with the woman in her 80s.
South Australia Health has issued alerts for times and locations for people who may have come