Outdoor Recreation | Hunting



Please take our annual survey to help us in improving management in state public hunting areas. This is an opportunity for you, the hunting public, to provide important information to guide decision-making and management. View the Public Lands Hunting Information Survey Report from 2016 (click here) and 2017 (click here). 

The new edition of Go Hunt Hawai‘i, a quarterly newsletter, is now available from the Department of Land and Natural Resources, Division of Forestry and Wildlife.

Sign up here to stay up to date with our hunting-related announcements, news and to receive future editions of our newsletter, Go Hunt Hawai‘i.


DOFAW Managed Lands


Hunting Licenses

Hunting in Hawaii requires a hunting license whether you hunt on public or private land. How to obtain a hunting license in Hawai‘i. In order to purchase a Hawai‘i Hunting License, you must possess one of the following documents:

  • a Hawai‘i Hunter Education Wallet Card; or
  • a Letter of Exemption, which may be completed online –click here .

Hawai‘i Hunter Education Wallet Cards are issued to graduates of our basic Hunter Education course and you may use it to purchase a Hawai‘i Hunting License directly from a license agent at various retail locations throughout the state. You may also purchase your Hawai‘i Hunting License online.

Letters of Exemption are issued free to those who have an out-of-state hunter education card or a Hawai‘i Hunting License issued prior to July 1, 1990. 

If you’re a nonresident without a hunter education card, contact your local hunter education office and find out how, when, and where to enroll in a hunter education course in your home state/province. Once you get your hunter education certificate, you may go online to our Hunting License Application website and complete the non-resident Letter of Exemption form online. Once your form is processed you will receive a email with procedures to follow that will allow you to purchase a Hawaii hunting license.

If you are a nonimmigrant alien and wish to temporarily import firearms and ammunition into the United States, please read these FAQs by the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

If you are a disabled hunter, please review the vehicle permit application and the cross-bow permit application.

Unfortunately, many hunters don’t plan or research their hunting trips before traveling to Hawai‘i and are turned away at the license agent’s counter because they were unaware of this license requirement. As always, with any hunting trip, know before you go!

Google Earth .KMZ files are also available for download here. KMZ is a file format used to display geographic data in an Earth browser. To utilize these files you will need to download Google Earth on to your mobile device or desktop. These files will provide layers displaying Hunting Units, Na Ala Hele Trails, and State Managed Lands.

Hunting Units Na Ala Hele Trails State Managed Lands  


Source Article