Situated on the Etowah River just 30 miles from Atlanta, Ga., the serene and peaceful surroundings of Allatoona Lake offer a respite from the rush of city living. In fact, Allatoona Lake is one of the most frequently visited Corps of Engineers lakes in the nation with nearly 7 million visitors each year.
The Corps of Engineers, in conjunction with other public and private organizations, provides a wide spectrum of quality recreation opportunities that inject nearly $250 million into the regional economy each year. As metro Atlanta moves northwest, recreation usage of the lake is certain to increase.
Allatoona Lake is well equipped to meet the increased demand of the future with 589 campsites and 188 picnic sites. Additional facilities are found in nine city and county parks, one state park and eight commercial marinas. Allatoona Lake has 270 miles of shoreline on which 978 Shoreline Use permits have been issued.
Authorized under the Flood Control Acts (FCAs) of Aug. 18, 1941, and Dec. 22, 1944 for the purposes of flood control and hydro-electric generation, Allatoona Lake is the oldest multipurpose project in the South Atlantic Division (SAD). The FCA of 1944 also authorized construction of recreation facilities. Impoundment of the project began in December 1949 and the lake was in full operation by January 1950. The total cost of the Allatoona project for construction, land, clearing and relocation was $31.5 million.
Allatoona Lake is the first impoundment for water as it flows from the Blue Ridge Mountains and additional water for the project depends on rainfall. For an unparalleled view of the dam, we recommend stopping by the Allatoona Lake Project Management Office and Visitor Center. The Visitor Center also features displays and video exhibits on the local area’s history, ranging from the time of early Indians – to the gold mining and iron making days – to the present.