Every year thousands of tourists visit France to witness the scenic beauty of the country. France is one of those countries that have a lot to offer which includes some of the remarkable tourist attractions and landmarks along with some excellent French cuisine. If you want to enjoy your trip to the fullest then you can book a room for yourself in any of the luxury homes in France. But before, you pack your bags to France, there are certain things about the place and culture that you need to know. To help you out, we have listed some of the do’s and don’ts that you should keep in mind while being in France.
At first, let’s check the things that you should be doing in France:
- Learn Some Basic French Words And Phrases: No matter whether you are visiting France for a week or for a month long, you should definitely learn a few basic French words before you get on to the flight. You should remember that you are visiting a foreign land where they speak a different language and therefore, it is important that at the least you should know some of the basic words and phrases. You never know when it may come in handy. If needed, you can also carry an English-French dictionary in order to ease up things.
- Learn The Difference To Greet With A Kiss And With A Handshake: Generally in Paris when you meet a friend you greet them with a kiss while when you meet a stranger you greet them with a handshake. French people even greet each other during goodbyes. The kiss is not just a kiss but it is a double kiss on both the cheeks. But when you visit small villages in France, people usually greet each other with ‘Bonjour’ especially when they meet any stranger. This practice is hardly followed in the big cities of France like Paris.
- Dress up Nice: France is a place where people like to dress up no matter what the occasion is. No wonder Paris is considered to be the fashion capital of the world. Almost all the French people dress up nicely when they move out on the streets. So, if you do not want to look like trash then you should dress up too when on the streets of France. You should never wear sweatpants or shorts while having a stroll through the streets of Paris. That’s because you will hardly see any French people dress up like that on the roads. Therefore, try to stick to your sophistication when in France.
- Explore The Eiffel Tower: Your visit to France will be incomplete if you do not visit the Eiffel Tower which is in Paris. Eiffel tower is one of the world’s most popular places and therefore, you cannot afford to miss it. It is like some sort of unspoken ritual for the tourists to visit the Eiffel Tower when visiting France.
- Go Shopping: You cannot ignore go to shopping when in one of the most stylish places of the earth. You will come across some of the best boutiques and shopping malls in France that you simply can’t ignore. France is filled with luxury and designer stores.
After the do’s now it’s time for checking out the don’ts:
- Do Not Talk About Sensitive Topics: Topics on religion, politics and other such stuff should be avoided at all costs. You are there to enjoy your stay therefore, there is no need for you to get into such sensitive topics and upset the French people out there.
- Do Not Complain About Slow Service: France is a country that likes to savour their drinks, food and time with their loved ones,therefore, do not expect to the cafes and restaurants to work efficiently. If you are in France then you need to be patient enough for everything. You should also know that it is worth the wait since they serve their customers with love. Therefore, even if you have to wait a little longer it shouldn’t be affecting you much.
- Do Not Take Cabs Everywhere: When in France, try to talk long walks through the cities that you are staying in. This will let you enjoy the scenic beauty of the city, but if you take cab rides everywhere then you will only miss out on the true grandeur of the place. Also, walking is good for health so you should totally support this idea.
- Do Not Talk Loudly In Public Places: Talking loudly in public places such as in the metros, restaurants etc. is frowned upon in France. For people who have the habit of talking loudly may find it a bit difficult to adjust, but if you do not want to upset any French person then you will have to keep a control on your voice. Try to talk softly and properly. Also, don’t get rude and offensive in the public places.
- Do Not Order Only One Dish At A Restaurant: French cuisine is known for its taste throughout the world. Therefore, ordering just one dish at a restaurant is considered to be a kind of insult to them so you better avoid doing that.
Now that you know about the do’s and don’ts that you need to follow during your stay in France hopefully, you will able to enjoy your tour more.
Read my travel blogs from worldwide to get great ideas on making your trip worth sharing.